Having released on Freerange, Hudd Traxx, Morris Audio and Urban Torque, Mancunian duo Tomson & Benedict launch their own we_ctrl label in July with the 'we_ctrl 001' EP (released 2nd July on vinyl and 16th July on digital).
The three tracks from it – one each solo, and another as a pair - feature on their podcast which digs deep into the revivalist bump of US garage. Showing its current widespread influence, with tracks ranging from the South Coast's Jordan Peak to Parisian Bambounou, a member of bass modernists ClekClekBoom, it's as stripped and raw as Tomson & Benedict's debut label release title, utilising classic 909 drums and organ sounds to evoke the true spirit of house.
1. Joyce Muniz – Messin With My Mind [Lo:Rise]
2. Jordan Peak – Three One Two [Morris Audio]
3. Marc Romboy & Kink – A Change Is Gonna Come [Ovum]
4. James Johnston – Work That Love [Development]
5. NY Stomp – The NY House Trak [Illusions]
6. Tomson – Time For Change [we_ctrl]
7. Benedict - Automatism [we_ctrl]
8. Bambounou - Fake Jake [Youngunz]
9. Michael McLardy - Colour Blind (JMX Remix) [Assembly Records]
10. Alignment - Sly [Obsolete Components]
11. Tomson & Benedict - Bedside Manners (Acapella) [House is the Cure]
12. Lucas Mari - AM [Savor Music]
13. Tomson & Benedict - Switch [we_ctrl]
Copyright Thrust Publishing Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.djmag.com as the source.