Each Blu Mar Ten album released over the last few years has been followed up with a series of remixes from a prestigious rollcall of fellow artists, including dBridge, Marcus Intalex, The Future Sound of London, Seba, Klute, Stray, BCee, Break, Frederic Robinson, Kimyan Law, Ulterior Motive, Bop, Kid Drama, Anile and more.
For each set of remixes Blu Mar Ten has opened up a competition to the public to give an unknown producer the chance to be released alongside these great names.
Winners of the last competition in 2014, Conduct, saw themselves signed to the Blu Mar Ten Music label with a full album release in 2016. Following the appearance of their 7th album in December 2016, Empire State, Blu Mar Ten are once again putting out the call for talent and inviting you to remix the track 'Titans' from the LP.
The winning remix will be professionally mastered at Finyl Tweek and released as a digital exclusive, (or possibly even on vinyl!), as part of the Empire State remix project along with reworkings of other album tracks from some of the finest producers Drum & Bass has to offer. The winning remixer will also receive a set of much sought-after Blu Mar Ten Music vinyl & CD releases. One runner-up will win a set of Blu Mar Ten Music vinyl & CD releases.
Download the parts for Titans here.
Once you're happy with your remix head over to www.blumarten.com/remix and upload your track before 30th April 2017 at 23:59 GMT.
Full terms & conditions are at the bottom of this page. Please read these carefully before asking questions about the competition.
We spoke to Chris from Blu Mar Ten to find out what he’s looking for in competition entries:
Tell us more about the remix competition track... what did you have in mind when you made it?
"'Titans' was a real slow-burner of a tune. We started it in early 2013, failed to finish it in time for that years' album, and carried on working on it right up until it got released on Empire State at the end of 2016. It went through a lot of iterations before it decided what it was, but it ended up being a kind of quotation of those cinematic Speed-era style rollers like Adam F's Aromatherapy."
What are you looking for in entries to the competition?
"We want people to take the idea and make it their own... to really stretch the track and do something different to it. We want to hear some character and invention, not just a version of the track that sounds kind of similar but not quite as good. People have got really moody in the past when we've picked a winner that's not d&b. The winner of the 2010 remix comp was an acoustic piano piece and the winner of the 2012 comp was a bubbling house/breaks hybrid. We'll pick whatever we think is best, regardless of genre."
What advice do you have for anyone entering the competition regarding the direction they should go?
"As above, be inventive with it. The worst ones are where someone's just taken the parts and strung them out in a slightly different order. Don't do that! We don't care what genre it is, just make it good and make everyone sit up and pay attention. The winning remix will appear alongside some of the best producers around right now so take the time to make it as good as you possibly can. You've got about five weeks...Don’t rush it!"
Terms & Conditions
1. This competition closes on 30th April 2017 at 23:59 GMT.
2. Entries not received by the deadline above will be invalid to enter.
3. All entries must be submitted via the Blu Mar Ten site at www.blumarten.com/remix. Entries submitted via other means will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted by any party for entries not received due to technical or other delivery difficulties.
4. The winner will be selected after the closing date at the discretion of Blu Mar Ten, whose decision is final. The winner will be notified within seven days.
5. Winner will be the remix submitted from all relevant entrants as the one most liked by Blu Mar Ten.
6. 'Winning' means that your remix will be featured as a digital release along with remixes from other artists of Empire State album tracks with full credit to you. It also means that you will receive the prizes offered by our participating partners, if available. Winning the competition does not entail any form of financial reward for entrants.
7. If you make your remix available for download or distribute it in any way prior to the close of the competition you will automatically be disqualified from winning. If the winning remix is found to be distributed prior to release Blu Mar Ten reserves the right to disqualify the winner and choose an alternative. After the competition has closed and the winner announced you may make your remix available to the public for listening or free download. You are not allowed to charge for your remix or include it in any commercially released single, EP, LP, compilation or any other revenue generating activity, for example TV, cinema, games, adverts etc..
8. Your remix can be any style of music you choose and can be as similar or different to the original as you wish.
9. You may use as many or as few of the samples as you see fit and you may add as much of your own content as you wish.
10. Unfortunately we are not able to enter into 'feedback' conversations about entries. If you wish to get praise, criticism or advice please upload a clip of your remix to Soundcloud or Youtube and share it with the many forums and social media channels available to you.
11. Please do not submit unfinished tracks or 'works in progress'. These will be automatically disqualified and deleted.
12. You may enter more than one remix but note you are only allowed to submit each remix once, so make sure your entry is the final version when you upload it. Resubmissions of the same track will be automatically disqualified and deleted.
13. Upon announcement of the winner, the winning remix must be provided to Blu Mar Ten in WAV format prior to mastering.
14. The winning remix will be professionally mastered at Finyl Tweek.
15. All parts made available to download, and all parts downloaded remain the property of Blu Mar Ten. All remixes completed, whether submitted in this competition or not, remain the property of Blu Mar Ten. No exploitation, or distribution of remixes shall be permitted without the sole written consent of Blu Mar Ten.
16. No purchase necessary and no proof of purchase required.
17. Blu Mar Ten's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. There is no cash alternative and the prizes are non-transferable.
18. Blu Mar Ten & DJ Mag reserve the right to verify the eligibility of applications.
19. The winner's name may be published on www.djmag.com, www.blumarten.com and Blu Mar Ten & DJ Mag's social networks after the closing date of the competition. Blu Mar Ten and participating partners reserve the right to contact the winner for permission to involve them in any post competition publicity and the winner agrees to such activities and shall make themselves reasonably available for such purposes.
20. Your entry must not infringe on the rights of any third party, including, but not limited to copyrights, trademarks, or rights of privacy or publicity, or other intellectual property rights. By entering this competition you indemnify Blu Mar Ten & DJ Mag against any such infringements.
21. Blu Mar Ten & DJ Mag reserve the right to cancel or amend the terms of this competition at any time without prior notice. Any changes will be posted within the rules on www.djmag.com.
22. Prize is subject to final selection. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, Blu Mar Ten & participating partners retain the right to offer alternative prizes.
23. Entering the remix competition implies full acceptance of these terms and conditions, which are legally binding. Blu Mar Ten & DJ Mag reserve the right to disqualify any entrant if we have reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions.
24. The competition and the terms and conditions of this agreement will be governed by the law of England & Wales.
Copyright Thrust Publishing Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.djmag.com as the source.