Skip to main content
News

London nightclub evacuated after fire caused by sparklers

25 firefighters tackled the blaze

London nightclub fire

A London nightclub was evacuated last weekend after a fire broke out. 

Emergency services were called to Little Orange Door in Clapham in the early hours of Sunday morning. It's understood the incident was caused by people lighting sparklers inside the building as Katy Perry's 'Firework' rang out on the soundsystem, at least one of which was dropped on the ground igniting the flooring. Around 60 people were inside at the time. 

The fire was brought under control in one hour by 25 firefighters, with several people suffering minor injuries such as cuts, burns and bruises in the scramble to escape. Four of those involved have been treated for smoke inhalation, with one admitted to hospital. 

"I thought if anyone dies it’s my fault they’re here," Erin Doyle, who was celebrating her birthday with around 30 friends, told The Independent. “There was smoke everywhere and fire started coming across the ceiling. Everyone was in shock. I started running and people stampeded to try and get out."

A spokesperson for The Little Orange Door said the venue was "devastated". They added: "We are incredibly relieved that no one was seriously injured and that it was contained quickly... To all those in attendance: we are truly sorry. We are taking this incredibly seriously and understand how scary it must have been... We will take every step necessary to make sure this never happens again." 

Earlier this month, Brooklyn club Rash suffered an arson attack, and in January another venue in the same New York borough, Bossa Nova haunt Civic Club, also suffered a "tremendous amount of damage" due to a catastrophic fire, and will remain closed for some time as a result.