Diplo revealed that Major Lazer’s album, ‘Music Is The Weapon’, which was originally slated for release this month (January) on his Mad Decent label, had been delayed to August in an interview on 103.3 (AMP) last month (January).
Now, speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Diplo has stated that the album may not come at all as the trio are focusing on releasing singles instead.
“We have enough songs [for an album],” the Mad Decent boss said in the interview “But I don’t think people digest our music like that. The last record went gold but it took a year and a half to do that.
“It’s the singles that keep us rising and get more people coming out to our parties. But if we put out four songs that go Top 5, then I’ll put the album out.”
Major Lazer have been working with a number of artists in recent months, having released their Nicki Minaj and PARTYNEXTDOOR single ‘Run Up’ last month, as well as teasing that they were in the studio with Ariana Grande last year.
The collaborations were originally thought to be for ‘Music Is The Weapon’, but speaking about other vocalists the trio had worked with, Diplo said, “The Weeknd, Travis Scott. We did another song with MØ. There are so many, like Camilla Cabello. We don’t know if they’re going to be for us or for them or where they might land, though.”
Major Lazer also debuted their new documentary about their historic Cuba concert at Sundance Film Festival in Utah on Friday 27th January.
Rob McCallum is DJ Mag’s deputy digital editor. Follow him on Twitter here.