Ron Trent is back with his first new album in more than a decade called 'What do the stars say to you'. You can listen to the first single 'Flos Potentia (Sugar, Cotton, Tabacco)', featuring Khruangbin, below.
The Chicago producer is releasing the 10-track LP under the "Ron Trent presents WARM" banner to highlight the album's many collaborations and as a nod to his first career dream of being an architect. "With WARM, through sound design, I built frameworks for the musicians, who furnished and occupied these structures beautifully, which was a big compliment for me."
Trent's collaborators, which include Azymuth, Gigi Masin, Khruangbin, Jean-Luc Ponty, Venecia and Lars Bartkuhn, played a key role in shaping the sound of 'What do the stars say to you'. "Each track was made with that guest in mind," Trent says. "For example, when I started writing ‘Sphere’, I immediately thought, ‘This IS [Jean-Luc] Ponty’. I played the keys in his style, and did a guide violin solo using a synth, which he then re-did, amazingly."
The album is out on 17th June via LateNightTales' sister label Night Time Stories in two versions. There's the 10-track standard edition and a 15-track continuous version mixed by François Kevorkian. See the tracklist for the latter below.
Ron Trent last released LPs in 2011, when he shared 'Dance Floor Boogie Delites' and 'Raw Footage'.
Tracklist (continuous version)
1. ‘Melt into you’ feat. Alex Malheiros (Azymuth)
2. ‘Cool Water’ feat. Ivan Conti (Azymuth) and Lars Bartkuhn
3. ‘Flos Potentia (Sugar, Cotton, Tabacco)’ feat. Khruangbin
4. ‘The Ride’ (Bonus track)
5. ‘Cycle of Many’
6. ‘In the summer when we were young’ (Bonus track)
7. ‘Flowers’ feat. Venecia
8. ‘Sphere’ feat. Jean-Luc Ponty
9. ‘Admira’ feat. Gigi Masin
10. ‘Endless Love’ (Bonus track)
11. ‘Rocking You’ (Bonus track)
13. ‘On my way home’
14. ‘What do the stars say to you’
15. ‘Cool Water Interlude’ feat. Ivan Conti (Azymuth) and Lars Bartkuhn (Bonus track)