Skip to main content

There's a new guide on short-term EU work permits for UK musicians

UK nationals seeking to work in the EU will be considered third-country nationals

There's a new guide on short-term EU work permits for UK musicians.

In December, the UK and EU agreed a new Trade and Cooperation Agreement, designed to govern the future trading and security relationship between to the UK and Europe following brexit.

It had been hoped the final UK-EU Withdrawal Agreement would include special consideration for touring professionals — including free, longterm working travel arrangements for artists and crew. As it stands, the current deal imposes new regulations, tariffs and visa requirements that will make such tours far more expensive and complicated. It raises further fears over what this fresh blow could mean for the recovery of a UK music industry, which was worth £5.2billion before the devastation of the coronavirus pandemic. 

The Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM) have since released a guide on the permits which need to be obtained for performances in Europe, with countries like Belgium, Cyprus and Italy requiring documentation to allow performers into the respective countries.

In countries like Poland and Slovakia, permits are only needed for artists if their stay in the country exceeds 30 days in 12 months, and in Norway, police must be notified of an arrival to work in the country.

You can read the full guide from ISM here.

A petition has been launched demanding the UK Government negotiates a new Visa-free cultural work permit for touring professionals and artists, which has already garnered more than 220,000 signatures. DJ Mag has been covering what Brexit could mean for music on an ongoing basis. Read up on advice for European DJs playing British dates, our take on British DJs playing European dates, then dive into official UK guidance for artists touring the EU.