To celebrate the launch of their new party, Danse with Friends, brothers Scott and Austen have put together this mix - featuring tracks forthcoming on their Danse Club label - exclusively for DJ Mag.
The debut Danse with Friends party is on Friday 17th of January in a basement rave cave somewhere in London. It's a guestlist only event so to get involved sign up at www.danseclub.com/friends.
We quizzed Austen on the unstoppable upward trajectory of Brodanse and their label...
Happy New Year. How would you sum up 2013?
“Happy New Year to you as well! For us 2013 was really about getting our foot in the door and laying down all the foundations ready for a massive 2014. The label is now in an incredibly strong position for 2014, in fact even more so than we planned for!”
Have you made any resolutions for the coming twelve month?
“Honestly speaking, for the first time no, all things are on track ATM. I quit smoking four months ago, so the only thing left to do was start again for the New Year (which I actually nearly did)! We do have a lot of goals set out for the new year though. To give you just a few which we devised with our manager, James Masters from Rekids: Fabric Room 1, Danse Club tour, Essential Mix and season in Ibiza!”
You pulled it out of the bag last year with a Groove Armada collaboration. Do you have any other big surprises like that for us in 2014? What else is on the cards?
“Thank you. It was a fantastic coup for us, we were very lucky to get the opportunity to work with Tom and Andy, an absolute dream come true scenario! Yes, we have a few massive things line-up (most of which we can not talk about yet, sorry), but trust us, we really are taking things up a gear or two. Most importantly, we will be following up 'Sweat' with two more Groove Armada collab EPs, the second with Kevin Knapp and the third with Extra Curricular who you may know from Duke Dumont 'Street Walker' EP.”
You and your brother are very close (and to many look exactly the same). What would you say are you distinguishing features?
“OK so this is how you can tell us apart. Austen: Green eyes, longer hair, broader, normally found out in the crowd. Scott: Blue Eyes, short hair, leaner, normally found in the back room. Easy peasy!”
How do you make a bro dance?
“Lay down a bad bass line and get things swinging and grooving with those hats and claps! Job done.”
What and when is your next gig?
“We have have kicked off a new series of parties for 2014 called Danse With Friends, which launches on the 17th of January. For each party we will collaborate with different movers, groovers and brands. Part 1 of the series will see us hook up with RED HOT by Thomas Knights. For those of you that missed it, this was the incredible exhibition, about changing the ginger stereotype, which we were very proud to be a part of.”
1. Ripperton - 'Echocity' [Green]
2. Rockers Revenge - 'Walking On Sunshine (GA's Trackers Revenge)' [Moon Danse]
3. Shlomi Aber - 'Coconuts' [Be As One Records]
4. Boris Dlugoch - 'Never Enough Ft. Roisin Murphy (Ian Pooley Remix' [Peppermint Jam]
5. Jason AJ Summers, Don Juan Benito - 'I Got Something Here ft. Kalisha (John Jastzsebski Remix)' [Danse Club Records]
6. Mario Aureo - 'Shakedown' [Danse Club Records]
7. DJ Dep - 'Hummor (Neverdogs Remix' [BlackFlag Recordings]
8. Daze Maxim - 'Farbfilm (Dyed Soundorom Remix)' [Apollonia]
9. Christoph - 'Guffaz' [Defected]
10. Brodanse & Groove Armada - 'Sweat ft Cari Golden (Club Mix)' [Danse Club Records/Armada Music]
11. Groove Armada - 'Pork Chop' [Moda Black]
12. Climbers - 'House Arrest' [Twin Turbo]
13. Nathan Barato - 'D.L.A.S.S.' [Suara]
14. Brodanse, Groove Armada & Kevin Knapp - 'Advancing Man (Advancing Dub)' [Danse Club Records] **WORLD EXCLUSIVE**
15. Jon Gurd - 'He Who Lives' [Octopus Recordings]
16. Jay Lumen - 'No Money No Honey' [Octopus Recordings]
17. Azzido Da Bass - 'Doom's Night (Radio Slave's Panorama Garage Remix' [Frenetic Music)
17. Princess Di - 'Who's Dick Is This (Deepchild Cockumentary Retug)' [Danse Club Records]
18. DJ Sprinkles - 'Grand Central, Part I (Deep Into The Bowel Of House) (MCDE Bassline Dub)' [Mule Musiq]
19. Markus Homm - 'Lost and Found (Mario Aureo Remix)' [Danse Club Records]
20. Dub Taylor - 'Transition State' [Eintakt]
21. Delano Smith - 'Inspiration (Reconstructed by Makam)' [Pariter]
22. Drew Hill - 'Talk To You' [Danse Club Records] **WORLD EXCLUSIVE**
Copyright Thrust Publishing Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.djmag.com as the source.