Mannheim's Time Warp has been forced to cancel its 2020 edition as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
In a post shared on social media, the festival's organisers said: "Unfortunately, the developments on the coronavirus have seen drastic change here in German in the past 48 hours. We are very sad to tell you that today the administration of the city of Mannheim has informed us due to the decree from today (Thursday 12th March 2020) that Time Warp DE on 4th April 2020 cannot happen and is prohibited."
Citing the Ministry of Health's ruling that events for 1,000 people or more cannot go ahead in Germany for the foreseeable future, the festival's statement adds: "As health and safety comes always first on all our festivals, we have full understanding of this decision from the city of Mannheim."
It continues: "As many of you have been looking forward to Time Warp for many months this is a very devastating and frustrating experience. As well for us, as we put nearly one year of work into this event to make it an as good and great experience as you know it from previous Time Warp editions."
The festival says it intends to return in 2021. Ticket holders for 2020 will be contacted soon with further information. You can read the statement in full below.
Time Warp had been due to take place from April 4th to 5th, with a line-up that included Charlotte de Witte, Richie Hawtin, Amelie Lens, The Black Madonna and lots more.
The 19-hour event is one of a number of German techno institutions to have been affected by the spread of COVID-19, with Berlin clubs such as Tresor, OHM, Wilde Renate, and Berghain also confirming this week that they would be closing their doors until late April.